News

Luiten set to defend Oman Open title

By Kent Gray
Joost Luiten has headlined the first wave of names for the second staging of the Oman Open with the
33-year-old Dutchman set to defend his title at Al Mouj Golf in Muscat from Feb. 28 to March 3.

Related: Dutch delight as Luiten wins in Muscat

Ryder Cupper Chris Wood and Austrian hero Bernd Wiesberger have also been confirmed for the USD$1.75 million European Tour event at the Greg Norman-designed course, ranked third in the latest Golf Digest Middle East Top 10 courses ratings.

“The Al Mouj Golf course was stunning and a proper challenge for the players,” Luiten said. “It was a wonderful feeling to lift the inaugural trophy of the Oman Open and I am very excited to come back to the beautiful Sultanate of Oman to defend my title.”

While the 2019 event marks only the second running of the Oman Open, Al Mouj Golf is no stranger to hosting professional golf tournaments having previously played host to the stars of the European Challenge Tour between 2013 and 2017.

Wood, runner-up to Luiten last year, concurred.

“The Oman Open was a fantastic event last year. The Al Mouj Golf course was stunning and extremely well prepared; probably one of the best courses we played all year,” Wood said.

“I played well last year, but my good friend Joost Luiten had the better finish on that final day and was a deserved winner of the inaugural Oman Open. I’m looking forward to returning to Muscat this year and maybe I’ll come out on top this time.”

 

Kent Gray

Editor of Golf Digest Middle East. Has written about golf since 1989 and owned a suspect short game even longer.

Facebook Comments

Check Also

EXCLUSIVE: European Tour back on the small screen but U.S. Open coverage looks unlikely

There’s some good news amid the continuing frustration for fans starved of major championship TV coverage

Advertisement

LEADERBOARD

Advertisement

Advertisement